Automated Notification with Contact List

Options

I have a sheet that is populated via a form. Many of the fields are automated based on what the user selects. For example, the user selects a Workstream, and individuals are selected from multiple dropdown menus (names, not contact lists). We are now in the stage of collecting data, so the form is being filled out. I would like to create an automated notification to advise individuals when their name has been selected for a field. Is there a way to do this for multiple people, or is it necessary to convert this field to a contact list. And as a contact list, can it be a dropdown for my initial automation?

Sherry Fox

Project Analyst | Core Quality Services (QMS Transformation)

Medtronic

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Sherry Fox

I hope you're well and safe!

I'd recommend making them Contact Columns, and then you can select one or multiple contacts and have a workflow or multiple workflows with alerts.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/18/22
    Options

@Andrée Starå ,

Thanks for the quick response. I am somewhat new to Smartsheet, so I may not be doing this right. I did convert my list to a contact list like you recommended. I then attempted to create my workflow based on this criteria:

New record added, alert person who is in the Program Manager filed. Note: that field has 6 names, and have now been converted to a contact list like you recommended.

I am using the "Alert someone when specified criteria are met" workflow. The problem now is that it only gives me Created By & Modified By as fields to choose from (see screenshot). What did I do wrong?

Sherry Fox

Medtronic

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Sherry Fox

Happy to help!

Strange!

When you changed the column, did you make sure that the contacts also have an email?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå ,

When I went to change the drop down names to contacts columns that broke all my other automation for my for (based on selection of 1 field, 5 other name fields are filled in so user doesn't have to). I recreated those fields, as they were a dealbreaker not to have. Then I opted to add additional workflows based on the user I wanted to notify. It may have been the long way around, but considering I had to fix 36 workflows due to the contacts, it was not something I was ready to do again. Appreciate your help!

Sherry Fox

Medtronic

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!