Linking Sheets - Asset Management

Options

Good morning,

Hoping someone can help me out. I have searched the community boards and cannot seem to find an answer!

I currently have a form that users submit to request a repair on a piece of equipment.

The requests then go to the Cold Equipment sheet or Hot Equipment sheet based on equipment type (refrigerator, steamer, oven, etc.).

I am working on creating an inventory management system for all my sites (there are 167 sites).

I currently have a Barcode (asset tag) column that is required on the form. Is there a way to have that column search other sheets for that barcode and if there is a match, turn the barcode into a hyperlink that goes directly to that row on the parent sheet?

This is the Cold Equipment sheet where requests are logged.

And this is one of the inventory sheets for a site.

Example: If a service request is submitted for "021064" (System, Computer), can the barcode on the Cold Equipment sheet turn into a hyperlink and go to the last row in the sheet in the screen shot above?

My end goal is to be able to click on a barcode to see what the equipment specs are.

Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be awesome. Thanks, SmartSheet family 😀!!!

Best Answer

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 10/22/22 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @OFNS BCPS,

Smartsheet doesn't currently have specific functionality that enables automatic code conversion into hyperlinks. When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

In your particular example, it seems that your ultimate goal would be that the product specs are automatically added into the row the Form was submitted based on the product code and whether or not there is a match in your inventory. If this is the case, have you considered using the VLOOKUP Function or the INDEX Function and MATCH Function to create a Column Formula (this would be automatically apply to each new Form submission) in a "Product Description" / "Spec" Column that would return this information automatically using cross-sheet references to your ? See an example below:

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

Answers

• Julio S.
    Julio S. Moderator
    edited 10/22/22 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @OFNS BCPS,

Smartsheet doesn't currently have specific functionality that enables automatic code conversion into hyperlinks. When you have a moment, please let our Product team know about your feedback by filling in this form, here. Thank you!

In your particular example, it seems that your ultimate goal would be that the product specs are automatically added into the row the Form was submitted based on the product code and whether or not there is a match in your inventory. If this is the case, have you considered using the VLOOKUP Function or the INDEX Function and MATCH Function to create a Column Formula (this would be automatically apply to each new Form submission) in a "Product Description" / "Spec" Column that would return this information automatically using cross-sheet references to your ? See an example below:

I hope that this can be of help.

Cheers!

Julio

• OFNS BCPS
    OFNS BCPS ✭✭✭
    Options

Julio,

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly.

Have a great weekend!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!