If blank then...

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", [Customer (Service Ticket Log)]@row, [Customer (Project Master Log)]@row)

The cell should equal project master unless its blnk then it should equal service ticket. Need help with the formula

Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Samuel Dowdy Jr.

Is the formula above producing an error (what error?) or an unexpected result? Does the column type where the formula resides correspond to the column types of the true and false responses? Are the field names within the formula shown in colored text?

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Its producing #Incorrect argument

they are all Text/Number types

no color text

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Samuel

The #NoMatches will error your IF statement, at least on that row. Consider wrapping your lookup formulas in the other columns with an IFERROR to clear the error. I often write "No Match" as my IFERROR result so I can send myself alerts when I have missing data.

I would clear your current formula and reinsert your cells, doing so my clicking in the correct column- not by manually typing the cell name. If you add the cells one at a time, do you get colored text? If you swapped the logic, does it make a difference? =IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, <>"",[Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, [Customer (Service Ticket Log)]@row) I don't know if you also have errors in your Master log column.

Kelly

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It didnt fix the issue.

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

any other ideas?

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would tear the IF statement apart to try to find the culprit. The formulas below are only for trouble-shooting, not your actual formula. Did you already wrap your lookup formulas with the IFERROR? If you need help with that let me know

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", "True", "False")

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", [Customer (Service Ticket Log)]@row)

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", [Customer (Project Master Log)]@row)

Which, if any, of these work?

Kelly

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", "True", "False") gives #incorrect argument

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", [Customer (Service Ticket Log)]@row) works when there is data in the Cstomer (Service Ticket Log) but not if the other way around.

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row, "", [Customer (Project Master Log)]@row) works when the Customer(roject Master Log) is blank but not if there is data in it.

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say,

=If the Customer (Project MAster Log) has anything in it but if its blank it need to = the customer (Service Ticket Log)

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, this is a forehead slap. You and I both have been reading the IF statement that way it should be, not the way it actually is. Even when I copied it for the true and false test I didn't see it.

=IF([Customer (Project Master Log)]@row ="", [Customer (Service Ticket Log)]@row, [Customer (Project Master Log)]@row)

• Samuel Dowdy Jr.
    Samuel Dowdy Jr. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That did it! Duh, HAHA

Thanks for the help

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!