Employee Roster

Options

Hi Team!

I am trying to create a FIFO roster within Smartsheet so we can move away from the manual Excel spreadsheet. Any ideas how I could do this?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Clare C

I would suggest setting up your Smartsheet sheet in an opposite way, where your Names are the columns and the first column is a Date-type of Smartsheet column where you list out the Dates/Months. See: Column Type Reference

Perhaps something like this:

In this sheet the "Month" column is the Primary Column, which would allow you to minimize each month section as needed:

However if you want to use the Calendar View, what I would do in this instance is have the Month column be a regular Text/Number column (or even only use the Date column and adjust the formatting), then use a formula to return the name of any person who has data in that row into the Primary Column.

For example, something like this:

That way their names will show up in the Calendar View, so you can quickly see exceptions per-day:

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Clare C

I would suggest setting up your Smartsheet sheet in an opposite way, where your Names are the columns and the first column is a Date-type of Smartsheet column where you list out the Dates/Months. See: Column Type Reference

Perhaps something like this:

In this sheet the "Month" column is the Primary Column, which would allow you to minimize each month section as needed:

However if you want to use the Calendar View, what I would do in this instance is have the Month column be a regular Text/Number column (or even only use the Date column and adjust the formatting), then use a formula to return the name of any person who has data in that row into the Primary Column.

For example, something like this:

That way their names will show up in the Calendar View, so you can quickly see exceptions per-day:

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Clare C
    Options

Thanks Genevieve they are some great ideas! I'll give it a go!