Is there a way to create a formula/condition that bolds a row if it has children?

Options

Best Answers

• Kelly Moore
    Kelly Moore ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Robby Elliott

Yes, this can be accomplished with a helper column and using Conditional Formatting.

There are a few ways to indicate a row is a Parent row. I typically add a checkbox column and call it something like Parent Helper. Since a Parent, by definition, will have children, this formula below will indicate by checkmark the Parent rows. Be sure to update the formula will the actual column name of your primary column.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Your primary column name]@row))>0, 1)

Once the Parent rows are tagged, you can apply Conditional Formatting to format those rows as desired.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Robby Elliott

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to Kelly's excellent advice/answer.

I usually add a so-called helper column called Level with the formula below, and then you can use it to identify parents and use it for conditional formatting and more.

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row)) > 0, COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Please support the Community by marking the post(s) that helped or answered your question or solved your problem with the accepted answer/helpful, Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!