Is there a maximum length for a Webhook Shared Secret?

Options

Smartsheet will randomly generate a Shared Secret to use to check signatures on Webhooks to authenticate them. I will need to store that shared secret in a database. I need to know the maximum length that this Shared Secret could be. What is it? Thanks.

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @sgolux

The general length is usually 26 characters, however I would not suggest limiting your solution to expect that count in case it fluctuates in the future.

You may want to build your database to allow for some extra characters in there just in case, or have some exception handling that would notify you if a shared secret is ever generated that is longer than what you're expecting.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @sgolux

The general length is usually 26 characters, however I would not suggest limiting your solution to expect that count in case it fluctuates in the future.

You may want to build your database to allow for some extra characters in there just in case, or have some exception handling that would notify you if a shared secret is ever generated that is longer than what you're expecting.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• sgolux
    sgolux ✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Genevieve P. - so appreciate it.