Automation Not Triggering

Looking for guidance on why this automation might not be firing. Could it be that I'm using a column formula to populate 0, 1, or 2 in Vendor Helper?

Tags:

Best Answer

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Falan Rowe

I hope you're well and safe!

No, the Column Formula doesn't break it as long as it's not referencing another sheet.

• Ensure that you've checked the Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Falan Rowe

I hope you're well and safe!

No, the Column Formula doesn't break it as long as it's not referencing another sheet.

• Ensure that you've checked the Sheet Change Notification Settings box to Include my changes in sheet notifications in your Personal Settings (circle/profile in the lower-left corner).

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Falan Rowe
    Falan Rowe ✭✭✭✭

All set! Thank you so much @Andreea

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/13/22

@Falan Rowe

Excellent!

Happy to help!

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå

I believe I am running into this very same issue.

I have 80+ budget worksheets. Then I have a report pulling a specific row from 80+ budget worksheets. I need to enter a $ value in this row which translates back to an entry in each of the 80+ budget worksheets. This $ value also then works its way into another worksheet by way of link. This sheet has an automation whereby when $ value changes to 'any value' I want to 'record date' in another column, however, the automation does not seem to trigger at all.

I'm stumped as to how to get this to work?

Do I need to physically enter the date when I enter the $ value?

• Hi @PeggyLang

Workflows that change a sheet (such as adding a date) can't be triggered by a change that happens via cross-sheet formulas or cell links - here's the Help Article with that note.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• PeggyLang
    PeggyLang ✭✭✭✭✭

@Genevieve P.

Thank you for the response. I did read that in my research yesterday, however, was hoping there was/someone had devised a clever workaround? I have a secondary report where we can fairly easily affect recording of the dates. Due to the fact that the Source sheet for $ values and the dates are two different worksheets I need two separate reports. My experience is that you are unable to update cells in a report that pulls from different sources, i.e., if I add the sheet where dates are housed to the report I use to update $ values I am unable to update the dates. Perhaps there is a work around for that?

• Hi @peggy lang

Could you add the Record a Date column to all of your Budget Worksheets (hidden) instead, and then cell-link that into your secondary sheet as well?

Since you're manually changing the $ in the first sheet it would trigger the workflow on those source sheets.

In regards to editing columns from multiple sheets, as long as the column exists on the underlying sheet you should be able to put data in to it! There are specific columns you can't edit from a Report (such as certain columns when Dependencies are enabled or columns with formulas) but a regular Date column would be editable.

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now