Custom object for expenses (SmartSheet Resource Management)

Options
DaveYesko
DaveYesko ✭✭
edited 12/12/22 in API & Developers

Hello! I've been asked to create a way to easily parse out expenses into project versus pass through. Is there a way to do this without creating duplicate categories (i.e., "Pass through_expense category 1" and "Project_expense category 1"). I've created custom objects in other PPM software and not sure if that's possible or if there are hidden fields I can use for this purpose. Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

Answers

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DaveYesko Hi Dave, are you looking to store separate values in those fields inside of Smartsheet? If so, you would need to duplicate them as separate columns. You could then hide the pass throughs.

If the expense amount is the same and you're just looking to identify the "type" of the entry, you could create a dropdown column where you indicate if that row is a pass through or project expense.

Or if neither of those satisfy your question, can you provide a little more context/screenshots? Thanks!

Ryan Sides

Smartsheet Tips and Tricks for Beginners and Advanced on LinkedIn and YouTube

Come Say Hello!

• DaveYesko
    Options

@Ryan Sides Thank you! The expense amounts differ and each project can incur numerous expenses, which can be boiled down to the two types of entries: project expense and pass through. It seems like the first option you outlined falls into this scenario, however, it would require the project owner to scroll through all of the list of ~7 predefined categories (now 14 different line items). This is less than ideal from the perspective of the project owner.

Is it possible to create a dropdown menu to simply the process or is the duplicate columns really the only path forward for this business need?

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@DaveYesko if I'm understanding your requirement correctly, a dropdown would work too.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!

• DaveYesko
    Options

@Ryan Sides I think this works. Thank you!

• Ryan Sides
    Ryan Sides ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You bet Dave! Happy to help.

Ryan Sides

Come Say Hello!