Row copying over twice after updating columns

Hello :)

Our Archive Metrics sheet tracks the number of units we receive, wash, process, etc. daily. For the last 2 years we have only been dealing with towable units. We recently brought in motorized units and I updated columns on the sheet to reflect only towable units and added columns to reflect only motorized. Here's what that looks like:

Every night this sheet is set up to copy the row over to our Archive Metrics sheet:

After adding motorized, the row has been copying over twice. The automation never changed, only the columns. Not only is it copying twice, but the columns are acting up. Example--the column towable check in was previously named 'Check In'. I changed that to towable and added the motorized check in column. The Archive Metrics sheet is still showing the 'Check-In' column along with the updated towable and added motorized columns. It seems to be adding the columns together, which is fine but the check out column is not adding up?

Can someone help explain what is happening here? The only solution I can come up with is starting new sheets because I don't to mess up any of the previous data when we were only running towables. But I have only been a smart sheet person for 4 months. Before that, I didn't even know this existed, so I might be missing something. :)

Answers

• Update--I have figured out why the check out numbers are not adding up. But still cannot seem to figure out why the row is copying over twice.

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ang Knight

Have you looked at the activity log on the destination sheet to see what's creating the rows?

When copying rows from one sheet to another, column names have to match exactly. Any columns in the source sheet that are not in the destination sheet get created in the destination sheet when the row copies over. By changing the column name in your source sheet, the destination sheet sees that as a brand new column.

Another thing to remember is that formulas DO NOT copy from one sheet to another, only the calculated values/results of the formula. If there's a formula in the destination sheet, in a column that doesn't exist in the source, that formula of course works on the new rows.

Of course, this doesn't yet explain there being two rows, but perhaps the details you look for will shed some light.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!