Is there a formula to tie a sequence to an event?

Options

Hello,

I am in need of assistance with creating a formula that will tie a sequence to an event. Currently the area is manually imputing future records on a weekly basis. If the frequency is known, can smartsheet automatically populate the record?

There are three columns that are the key indicators that I will need to tie. One is titled Group Name, Date File Expected and the other is named Data File Type.

Example: Group is Chandler Construction where a file is received every Wednesday. Is there a way for smartsheet to populate this row for on a weekly basis? I have provided a screenshot for your review.

Any assistance or direction provided is greatly appreciated.

Answers

• DHarris
    DHarris ✭✭
    Options

How does this data get imported now?

Do you have a form Chandler Construction fills out?

Is the data that comes in the exact same every time?

Are there more options in the "Group Name" column that are different than Wednesday or weekly?

I am by no means a pro, but this would better understand a bit on how to help you. I am more than sure a PRO will chime in as well, but if I can better understand you, maybe I can help quicker... I am sitting here waiting on an answer to mine anyways 😁

• Dale Murphy
    Dale Murphy ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Beronica Muller Based on what you describe here, you have a number of rows that get added to a sheet weekly. These rows have key fields that are the same week over week.

If that is accurate, you could build a sheet that holds the "standard information" in rows, one row for each set of standard information.

Then workflow from that sheet could copy the row to your working sheet on a schedule, using a key field in that row to trigger the correct row on the correct date.

I'm not sure that meets all your objectives, but it is one approach.

dm

• Beronica Muller
    Beronica Muller ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DHarris thanks for replying. I am appreciative of you assisting me with this. I have answered your questions below.

How does this data get imported now? The area manually enters the data.

Do you have a form Chandler Construction fills out? No, this data is for internal users only and they manually key in this information.

Is the data that comes in the exact same every time? Not the exact same time but each Wednesday.

Are there more options in the "Group Name" column that are different than Wednesday or weekly? There are other groups that are entered other days other than Wednesday, but still on a weekly basis.

• Beronica Muller
    Beronica Muller ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Dale Murphy I am not sure if I am following you when you say, "then workflow from that sheet could copy the row to your working sheet on a schedule, using a key field in that row to trigger the correct row on the correct date." I am not sure how to do that. Could you assist?

• DHarris
    DHarris ✭✭
    Options

Well, if you do not have a form yet, that may make things a bit easier for your users that input the data. If you already have a sheet created, you should create a form with that sheet, then create an automation that can email your users on a weekly basis (like a schedule) telling them its time to update their data.

Not sure if this makes sense, but the form (if your not familiar with them) will allow for a more layed out menu for items your users need to input each week. You can even set your schedule to notify users on specific days and times with the automation piece of Smartsheet.

Let me know if this helps you any. I would build for ya if I was nearby... good luck!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!