Failing to post date value to Summary field

Options

I am working with the python sdk, and I cannot figure out how to post a date value.

Here is a picture of what I am doing. where sum is a dictionary of posting data

If I am trying to post a formula, I check that my "Posting value" has a equal sign, and then the formula goes there, and it posts fine.

If I am trying to post a direct value (in this case a date), I have not been successful posting.

There are two fields, object_value and display_value, and neither work for posting. The way the data naturally sits if I do a get request is:

but when I try to post a displayValue :{'objectValue: "DATE", 'value': "12/12/99"}, I get the following error--

Any idea what format to use to post dates in the python SDK? if not I'll have to use the requests library and see if I can find the format from the Curl command

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hey @ArielDB

The Smartsheet API needs dates to be formatted in ISO-8601 format: YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SSZ. Some SDK methods use language-specific Date objects, which require different date formats. (See: Dates and Times in the API Documentation).

Additionally for a Summary Field, you'll want to use the 'ObjectValue' to then specify the ObjectType as 'Date'. I was working with another member on this post to troubleshoot a very similar issue. (I could use Postman to update a date in a Summary Field but they were encountering some hiccups.)

Let me know if that helped or not!

Cheers,

Genevieve

• ArielDB
    ArielDB ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P. ,

I followed your instructions, but was unable to get it to work! Here you see the error I get on top, and the code from the Python-SDK on bottom. I tried going into the SDK to read what type it expects, but I couldn't find anything useful. I will say that when I do a curl command with this structure, it works. Likely I will just do this section in Curl, but I'd love to know how to make this code work in Python!

• ArielDB
    ArielDB ✭✭✭
    edited 02/06/23
    Options

I have not succeeded yet, but I am close. Using the SDK I posted the Summary Field with the following format:

{'id':<id>, 'value':<Date in  ISO-8601 format>, 'type':'DATE'}

It did not throw an error but it also did not update my summary.

• ArielDB
    ArielDB ✭✭✭
    Options

I did not find success. 'value' is not an attribute in a summary field object, so it doesn't change the field.

I can post into a summary date field using 'object_value', but it posts as a string, not a date. If ever I try to make it a date type it creates the error that is shown above, or attribute date.value missing

• ArielDB
    ArielDB ✭✭✭
    Options

I found data/body that works with curl but not with the SDK. I am stumped! Error messages are above the code in the pictures below

Python SDK:

doing a plain request:

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hey @ArielDB

My apologies for missing your follow-ups!

I've tested this and it should work if you just set the object_value to a string with your date. Even though it's sending the content in as a string, the column type is DATE and should parse this data correctly.

If this doesn't work, can you double check that you're on the latest version of the SDK?

• ArielDB
    ArielDB ✭✭✭
    Options

hey, you are right that I can post a string into a date type column for some reason. That being said, I have not been successful at having the date string acknowledged by Smartsheet as a date, and have the date widget that comes up when you click a date field to show the correct date.

ex:

can you give me an example of a string that will post correctly into a date column? Not sure how to format it maybe

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @ArielDB

What happens if you try adding the date without the time or timezone designation? The same as in your first comment:

'2022-01-01T00:00:00Z'

If this still isn't showing up correctly, can you confirm what version of the SDK you're using?