Slack Integration: How can I systematically retrieve the row from the slack notification

Options

I have row update notifications going to Slack as notifications in a workflow.

I am also able to listen to that Slack channel from my application.

How can my application find out which rowId is being referred to - can the URL be interpreted somehow?

Thanks,

James.

Tags:

Answers

• I do realise that the primary column ID is in the message, but as far as I can see, I can't use the smartsheet API to directly query a row based on it's primary column - am I wrong?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @jamesrothwellhughes

There are two possibilities I can think of, here:

1) One way to achieve this would be to add a column to the sheet with the rowId , then populate this row using the API.

For example, use  getSheet then loop over rows to updateRow (or maybe just one updateSheet call) with the id in the new rowId column.

Then the workflow can include the rowId column. This could be coupled with additional logic/workflows that trigger these api calls again whenever a row is added (workflow) or whenever the slack message does not include the row id.

2) As another option, you could use a system Auto-number column as a unique identifier for the row.

If you're using Slack notifications in conjunction with your own application, you could fetch the whole sheet via the API and keep a mapping of auto-number column ids to rowIds.

I hope that helps!

Genevieve