Conditional Formatting

Options

Hi,

I have a formula in a customer field that identifies if a task is on schedule or behind, but I want to use a RYG circle that automatically updates based on the disposition of the formula. For example, if the task is shown as behind schedule, then I want the circle to be red. Is that possible?

Answers

• MichaelTCA
    MichaelTCA ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @Liz_Snavely

Yes, it is possible. The circles use "Red", "Yellow", and "Green" to identify which to use. The column properties will have to be set to this parameter.

For example:

=IF([DUE DATE]@row - TODAY() < 0,"Red","Green")

I have a function for a health column using the RYG circles that covers a lot of criteria. The function is very long because of how many conditions there are.

A tip would be to group as many conditions together as possible that contain the same result using AND/OR functions. Also, I like to start with the most critical situations when writing the function.

Such as:

Past Due Date is Late - "Red"

1 to 5 Days from Due Date - "Yellow"

ELSE - "Green".

That way you don't have to write in everything for all 3 colors in the function. Just the 2 critical values and when everything else is false have the False value as "Green" like the examples above.

Keep in mind, IF functions read like a book (left to right), so if you do have a lot of criteria I recommend mapping out the criteria for each RYG result before creating the function. The sequence of each criteria makes a big difference. Especially when you have multiple conditions per result.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!