Difference between Unlicensed users and...

Hello,

I just discovered i have a number of license requests

these staff can access the sheets that have been shared with them but are not listed in either our licensed or unlicensed users.

What is the difference between these?

Best Answer

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/12/23 Answer ✓

What you have run into is a situation where a user has a free account that is not technically in your Smartsheet organization, and therefore you cannot see it or administer it; you can only see it on Sheet Access reports and in the Share list on sheets the user can access with it. When they click on the upgrade button on their screen, it shows up as a license request for you to work.

The users that show up in the Unlicensed Users list either were previously licensed, or the accounts were created by the Smartsheet System Admin with the user being "invited" into your Smartsheet org.

My org used to be this way. In User Management, I used to only be able to see licensed users, formerly licensed users, and users I had specifically added myself through User Management.

When I implemented User Auto-Provisioning in Smartsheet for our domain, any users with our email domain who create accounts are automatically added to our unlicensed user list. Users in our domain with existing accounts are provisioned into our org upon their next login. Now I can download login history for all users in our domain, licensed or not, no matter if they created their account or I did. I can update their profiles, add roles, etc. I also control what happens when a free user in our domain clicks the upgrade button: they get taken to my own Smartsheet license request form, which explains the criteria for being given a license, and which when submitted creates a ticket for me to address. There are also options for custom help screens - what a domain user sees when clicking on the ? icon for help - as well as custom welcome screens - such as a screen outlining your org's Smartsheet usage policies and requiring a user acknowledgement such as an "I Agree" checkbox.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/12/23 Answer ✓

What you have run into is a situation where a user has a free account that is not technically in your Smartsheet organization, and therefore you cannot see it or administer it; you can only see it on Sheet Access reports and in the Share list on sheets the user can access with it. When they click on the upgrade button on their screen, it shows up as a license request for you to work.

The users that show up in the Unlicensed Users list either were previously licensed, or the accounts were created by the Smartsheet System Admin with the user being "invited" into your Smartsheet org.

My org used to be this way. In User Management, I used to only be able to see licensed users, formerly licensed users, and users I had specifically added myself through User Management.

When I implemented User Auto-Provisioning in Smartsheet for our domain, any users with our email domain who create accounts are automatically added to our unlicensed user list. Users in our domain with existing accounts are provisioned into our org upon their next login. Now I can download login history for all users in our domain, licensed or not, no matter if they created their account or I did. I can update their profiles, add roles, etc. I also control what happens when a free user in our domain clicks the upgrade button: they get taken to my own Smartsheet license request form, which explains the criteria for being given a license, and which when submitted creates a ticket for me to address. There are also options for custom help screens - what a domain user sees when clicking on the ? icon for help - as well as custom welcome screens - such as a screen outlining your org's Smartsheet usage policies and requiring a user acknowledgement such as an "I Agree" checkbox.

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

• ldavenportHAP
    ldavenportHAP ✭✭✭✭

@Jeff Reisman thank you so much! This was exactly the response I was looking for!