Formula to clear in certain fields of a row

I have a smartsheet for a workflow. If at some point there is a change order, then the workflow needs to start back at the beginning and most of the populated cells need to be cleared out. Is there a formula to make this automatically happen?

Best Answer

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Maria,

The third-party service, Zapier, is an excellent option for this scenario. Is that an option for you?

There might be a way to structure it without a third-party service.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s)/copies of the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Marla

Along with Andree's excellent response about Zapier, I too have an alternative response from a colleague that is:

"You'd need a bit of bespoke API work that will clear out the relevant cells in each sheet. So that the API can identify what needs to be cleared out, the best way would be to design the sheets so that they have one common ID that exists throughout each of the rows in the workflow, and also to define somewhere the column names (or column IDs) associated with these cells in each sheet. An API solution could then be written to clear out each cell in the workflow when triggered."

My colleague said he would probably write his own API for this requirement as it would give a greater flexibility in the functionality required. Food for thought...

Kind regards

Debbie

• Marla Berge
    Marla Berge ✭✭✭

If a name is in the "Design Change Order requester", then the check in "Status of calculations" will be removed.

• Marla Berge
    Marla Berge ✭✭✭

Thank you for the information.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Marla Berge

Happy to help!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Debbie Sawyer, I think this task would be best accomplished with the use of a custom application / script that would utilize the APIs to make these specific changes. If the grids don't change too much, you could hard code most of the cells to be updated on the change of a given target cell. If cell A1 updates, set A2, A3, A4 to null / empty.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!