pulling the last value from a child row to the parent row.

Options

I have a parent row that represents a task and the children rows vary depending on the number of days to complete the parent task. And so what im trying to figure out is what equation would look for the "last" value or the most current value in the child column and bring it to the parent.

Room 200 | | |

7/2/20 | 57% | 70 |

7/3/20 | 49% | 68 |

etc...

In this case I would want the equation to realize that 7/3 is the most current entry and pull that value up to the empty parent row.

Thank you,

Hunter G.

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Add an Auto-Number Column. This will automatically put a number in each now row. The newest created row will have the highest number.

Add this formula to the parent row for any column that you want to pull in the most recent value

=INDEX(CHILDREN(), MATCH(MAX(CHILDREN([Row ID]@row)), CHILDREN([Row ID]@row)))

👨🏼💻Dan Palenchar |School of Sheets Solutions Consulting| Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner

If this helped, help me & the SSC by accepting it and reacting w/💡insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, and/or ❤️Awesome.

PS - If you have a follow up response attention use@Dan Palencharso I get notified of your reply!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!