What is the best way to learn SmartSheet?

Options

I have tried to watch the training videos but find I'm really distracted by both the background muzak and the number of times they tell me "it's EASY!" to where I cannot focus on anything other than how inadequate I am...

I'm really interested in learning, from start to "finish" how to create a system... set up a sheet(err... grid?), and then... get a dashboard and/or all the steps you need in between (i think i have to make a report to get a dashboard? but this isn't clear to me as sometimes I've heard reports are unidirectional and sometimes i've heard that users can update the datasource through reports... which I also need... both those things...)...

I'm JUST starting, have watched all the videos multiple times, and still feel like I know so very very little...

How can I truly get started? Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Catherine Hall

I’d recommend the Center of Excellence if you haven’t already joined that.

Would that help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Catherine Hall
    Options

thank you!

where do i find the center of excellence?

• Catherine Hall
    Options

Thank you @Paul Newcome ... I feel pretty confident about the formulas (except... "+" for concatenation, really?!) as i've been programming excel and vb for... many many years... it's just the logic/structures and how everything fits together that don't make sense to me. To be fair, I came into this thinking SS is an online SPREADSHEET, which it's not. It's an online DATABASE... totally different in concept and limitations. so yeah... dive in... which is great when you have unlimited time, not "learn SS and build our system by yesterday!"

• really like the suggestion to pad the walls... lots of spare bubblewrap from over-ordering on amazon... will do! thx!
  • Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Below is a short smartsheet training project that introduces new key users to core functionality inside of smartsheet. Time to complete for a new user should be max 1.5 hours while an advanced user could complete in 20-30 minutes.

Project Paperless

Jimmy Sam and Susie are starting on a project called Project Paperless. Project Paperless deals with the conversion of written paper into E-documents for their company. Luckily there are only 3 categories of form for their company, entitled Form1, Form2, and Form3. Jimmy Sam and Susie are all required to keep track of how many of each type of document they process each day, and submit their progress to their manager. They need to process a total of 1,000 copies of Form1, 600 copies of Form2, and 1,500 copies of Form3.

The manager has realized the waste of asking them to submit their daily progress on paper, and has asked you to make a Smartsheet where they can e-file their daily progress. His requirements are as follows:

The dashboard must show:

The total project progress and progress for each form shown in percent

The total papers converted by each employee

Bonus if previous completed: The highest daily scorer for each form

The employees should not be able to access or change any information directly on the worksheet.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It definitely gives a chance to learn a little more than just the basics but in a way that actually has context instead of just "you can do this with a sheet" or "you can put that on a dashboard". It ties it all together. I like it.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 09/04/20
    Options

Thanks. It came as a result of a mix of user capabilities during training. The biggest advantage of this is when I'm training 10+ people people more capable with computers/spreadsheets help train the people who are struggling, and the ones that are struggling the most get my help. It's worked fairly well so far.

My favorite part of it is the last line. It turns it from a spreadsheet problem to a smartsheet problem, and forces users to stop thinking like they would in excel

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Catherine Hall

Here's a list of previous webinars that also might be helpful.