API Event Reporting error

Corentin Dal Farra
Corentin Dal Farra ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 09/28/20 in API & Developers

Hello everyone,

I am trying to develop an API connexion with Smartheet, but I have an error returned by a call that says that the action that the user was attempting is not included in my plan.

"errorCode" : 1013,

"message" : "The operation you are attempting to perform is not supported by your plan.",

"refId" : "1jenx1k9kg00r"

I am looking to retrieve events from a sheet, and I understood that I need Event Reporting add-on to do this with the API.

Is that correct ? I was thinking that the use of Smartsheet API didn't imply to buy an add-on.

Thank you for your help,

Corentin

Best Answer

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Corentin Dal Farra

What you can do with the API is dependent on what you have access to as a licensed user in your specific plan.

The API access token is essentially a log-in password so you can access all the sheets & features that are available, but only for that specific account. (In the same way that if you logged in through the Smartsheet App UI you would have access to those specific features and sheets.) Does that make sense? For more information about Access Tokens, see this section, here.

This does mean that if you are using an access token for a licensed account that does not have access to Event Reporting, you won't be able to create Event Reporting calls. You can read more about Event Reporting in the API Documentation, here.

Our Help Center also has a Webinar on the API from Engage 2018, if you're interested! (See here.)

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Corentin Dal Farra

Hello @Genevieve P

Thank you for your clear answer about API management !

Thinking about what you said, I was wondering what is the best practice to use an API access token :

For example I have not access to all sheets and workspaces in my company, but I need to have access to all this elements for my API.

So should I create a generic user that is a licensed and system admin user, and share it to all my elements in my company (sheets, workspaces, etc.) so that when I use his API token, I have access to all the elements ?

Thank you for your time and your help,

Corentin

• Corentin Dal Farra

@Genevieve P okay thank you for your great help !

Corentin

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

No problem! Happy to help 😊