reference another sheet - not from a cell, but pull from sheet summary formula

Options

Hi,

I need to pull a sheet summary formula into another sheet.

I've tried right clicking in the desired cell, link to cell in another sheet, but can only link to actual cells in the other sheet. I can't navigate over to the formulas in the sheet summary section right hand side to pull that in.

Another option I tried was =sum( reference another sheet, but it still wants to just pull information from the sheet itself, and not the formula.

I've got a complicated formula in my summary formula and am able to get the result onto a widget but I can't figure out how to get it onto another sheet to do more with it.

Ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hmmm. Good question. I am posting so I can see if there is a community answer to this problem.

@Genevieve P Do you know if there is a way to pull sheet summary data from one sheet into an actual sheet itself? I could see this being very useful for rollup information on a single sheet.

• laura.buchanan
    laura.buchanan ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Andree's work around was a great suggestion! Thanks so much. Here is what I was trying to do.

I had one sheet that was a "countdown" number of days we have to accomplish an important team task. That's on one sheet.

On another sheet is the list of all of the tasks and lots of information about them and lots of summary formulas that I have used on a dashboard. So, in response to his suggestion, I entered a test row in the data sheet and pulled in the formula that had the number of tasks remaining.

Then I linked to that cell on the countdown sheet.

Then I divided the total remaining by the number of days left, showing number the team has to compete every day to finish in time. Then I pulled that into a widget on the dashboard.

SUPER!! Works nicely!!

Thanks so much!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@laura.buchanan

Excellent!

You're more than welcome!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 11/23/20
    Options

I'm glad to see that you got it working, and thanks for posting your solution!

@Mike Wilday at this time there is no way to reference a Sheet Summary field from one sheet into a Sheet Summary Field or Grid of a different sheet; you would need to bring the data into the grid of the initial sheet so it can be referenced or cell-linked.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!