Non numerical data error on graph

I am putting together a shift rota, and trying to pull data off the rota into a graph.

This is the data, a summary of each day by team to work out a percentage of each team that are in/out on any given day etc.

If you see towards the bottom where the cell is selected there are two rows.

Percent OFF & Date. This is what I want to graph.

So I have this data in a report for the entire year and filtered by the 'Data Tag' column so it only shows 'Bushing OFF' & 'Bushing Data'.

Then I have created a dashboard and tried to import the data into a graph. I get this error:

The data is all in a Drop down column format, but as far as I'm aware that's an acceptable format for graphs. I've tried with and without percentage.

Weirdly it worked fine the first time I did it, but not now.

Can anyone help unpick what's going on here?

Thanks.

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­āœ­

Exactly how are your percentages entered? Are they entered as a plain number and then the column is formatted as percentage, or do you have to manually type the %?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Graham Rimell
    Graham Rimell āœ­āœ­

No it's a numerical value and I've pressed the percentage format button. So in theory it's a proper numerical value. I found that it appears to be the number of columns on the graph that it doesn't like.

I've got 365 cells (for the year) and If I go up to about 250 it works.

The work around I found was to just take the data straight from the grid, and not to use a report. It seemed to work that way!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!