How to change date format in dynamic view

Options

how to change date format in dynamic view ... currently view showing system date format but need DD-MM-YYYY format in final view...please help .

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Yashwant Singh

Dynamic view uses the Smartsheet API to bring in data, which means that dates are displayed in UTC format (YYYY-MM-DD).

While this can't be changed within the Dynamic View app, you can adjust the date format on the source sheet where the information is stored and updated: see here.

• SophiaJKhan
    Options

The underlying sheet is not something we are giving our clients access to, but the dashboard we created with a Dynamic View URL embedded is the interface they see. Even if we format on the source sheet, this does not help us when it comes to the end user view. How can we remedy the unattractive UTC format?

• Genevieve P.
    edited 05/06/20
    Options

Hi @SophiaJKhan

There currently isn't a way to re-format the view of dates from within Dynamic View itself; please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a minute.

If you're using a dashboard, you may be able to use Metric Widgets to display dates directly from the underlying sheet in a better format without providing access to the sheet.

• Lewis Waters
    Options

This is a real issue. We need to see the same date format as is in the source sheet.

• Donny McMullan
    Options

I agree, it is hard for the user to understand when the Details display shows the date in MM/DD/YYYY format but the lines on the Dynamic view are showing YYYY-MM-DD. Is this something that is being looked at for update so we do not all have to open enhancement tickets for the same issue?

• sravya.gupta127326
    sravya.gupta127326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Genevieve P - Is there an update on this issue? I have a dynamic view with the source sheet setup for dd-mmm-yyyy but the dynamic view shows some dates in dd-mm and some others in mm-dd! Thanks!

Thanks,

Sravya

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @sravya.gupta127326

Are you able to post a screen capture of what you're seeing in Dynamic View? Can you confirm that the column in the source sheet is indeed a Date Type of column (or is it a System Date column)?

Can you also identify what your current Personal Settings are configured as, in regards to date structure (Account > Personal Settings > Settings > Regional Preferences).

Thanks!

• sravya.gupta127326
    sravya.gupta127326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Genevieve P - I have added the screenshots here:

Report used for Dynamic view with the source data from Project Summary sheet where the column is setup as a date column. This comes from individual project sheets from a non date column. Is there a way to consistently bring in a specific date format here?

Dynamic view: even if they were consistently showing one date format - that would have been good but the top one shows mm-dd while the next one shows dd-mm

Top one in its core source sheet

My personal settings are United Kingdom settings - dd-mm-yyyy

Thanks!

Thanks,

Sravya

• Genevieve P.
    Options

Hi @sravya.gupta127326

I tried to re-create your process: I created two source sheets with a System Column and then used a formula to grab this date. Then I created a Report across a few sheets with this formula date column, and used the Report as the source for my Dynamic View.

But once I set this up, I was unable to replicate what you're seeing. My dates come through in a standard format, and when I adjust my personal/regional preferences the entire column in the Dynamic View adjusts.

At this point I would suggest reaching out to Smartsheet Support so that they can work with you through a private channel. Please provide them with all the information you identified here (what type of columns are being used and your regional settings), along with what formulas you're using, all the sheet names/reports, and screen captures.

Thank you!

Genevieve

• Ravi Chandra
    Options

Topping up this thread!

The issue with dynamic view displaying UTC date format needs to be solved. It's troubling viewers who use them and having to use a converter to check the actual entry time. Not user friendly.

• Hi all,

we have the same problem! We work a lot with the details menu in Dynamic view from mobile devices and the date format, MM/DD/YYYY adds a lot of confusion as nobody in Europe uses this format.

We are used to either DD/MM/YYYY or YYY-MM/DD. Would be great to have the option to format the date according to regional requirements.

Thank you,

Claudia