Workflow automation for when a cell in a column does not change status

Trying to see if there is a work around for setting up a workflow automation to trigger when a status column does NOT changes status from planning to in progress after 14 days. I only see triggers for when a column or row has changed, but nothing for when a column doesn't change. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Set up a Record a Date automation into a date type column for when the column in question changes. Next insert another date type column and enter

=[Automation Date]@row + 14

Now you can set up your automation to trigger on this last date type column (or when it is in the past or however else you needed it).

• Heather Duff
    Heather Duff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 05/04/21 Answer ✓

Hi, @Lisa Rossetti !

I think I may have a solution. Create two date columns: one is a Status Update, and the other is Update+14. In the Update+14 column, you'll make a column formula that looks like this:

=[status update]@row + 14

Then you can create an automation that records the date your status column was last changed, like this:

Then you can set an automation that will notify someone when the Update+14 date column is reached:

As in the screenshot, if you want to filter your status to remove items that have already been marked complete or in progress, you can add the conditions filter to that automation.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you!

Best,

Heather

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!