Index and Match Formula

Options

Hello everyone!

Just having some observation in the index and match formula that I used (data captured is from another file). Seems like the value of the formula only updates when I open the said file, then I'd need to save the file as soon as the values of the formula are updated. I noticed it because this column with the index match formula produces data w/c i use as basis in sorting a particular category to generate a list via a Report File. The report file is then published to a dashboard. Every week when the updates are expected to create a change in the list, the list in the dashboard does not change not until I open the grid file with the index match formula so that the data captured by the formula updates. Is it better to use the Vlookup formula instead?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The TODAY function does not update to today's date until the sheet has been activated. To activate a sheet, you would need to open it (which is what you are currently doing), have a form submission, submit an update request, or have an automation run.

My recommendation would be to insert a hidden date type column and have a Record A Date automation run each morning at 12:00am to insert the date. This will update all instances of TODAY on that sheet.

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!