Create Chart

Options
System
System Employee Admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Line chart with multiple date-numbers traces.

Answers

• Clay Watkins
    Options

The last entry on this thread was some time ago, are there any updates from the Smartsheet team as to the requested functionality? I have a similar need and am having some difficulty understanding the constraints of the graphing widgets.

I'm attempting to create something similar to the attached image using the following information:

1) New Task (trend) by create date

2) Task Completed (trend) by completion date

3) Top activity by category

4) Task Status by category (Not Started, In Progress, Completed)

An example image is attached

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Clay Watkins

Are you able to post a screen capture of your source data in Smartsheet, where you have the New Tasks and Completed Tasks housed? (But please block out any sensitive data!)

In order for the X-Axis to be Dates, you would want to have a Date Column with your dates listed so the chart has data to use.

For example, do you have a Date Column set up to indicate whenever a Task is Completed? If so, then you can use cross-sheet formulas to build out the data for your graph. In a helper, second sheet you would have one column with each Day's Date, then next to it you would set up a COUNTIF formula to COUNT how many tasks were completed on that day. This then has numerical data associated with a date, so you can turn it into a Chart Widget.

Let me know if this makes sense! I'd be happy to show screen captures or examples, but as there are a few ways to go about this it would help to see your source sheet/data first to know what sort of formulas to build.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Clay Watkins
    Options

Hello @Genevieve P

I would really appreciate screenshots or examples of how to build this out. I've attached a screenshot of my columns and some source data.

The idea I'm after is to be able to illustrate how the added tasks over time impact the overall completion scores/rate. The expectation is that these numbers will increase/decrease through the year but at the end of the year the objective is that all open tasks defined for the project are complete.

Regards,

Clay

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi @Clay Watkins

Thank you for clarifying. It sounds like you want to create a "burn-down" chart of sorts, where historical data is charted over time in order to see progress. There are a number of formulas we can build, but these will look at current data and will update as your sheet updates throughout the year.

I answered another recent post with a breakdown of how I would chart this data, see here.

Point form process:

• Formulas in Sheet 1 calculate numbers each day
    • A Copy Row workflow (in Sheet 1) runs once a week (or however often you need) to copy the data from Sheet 1 to Sheet 2
    • A Record a Date workflow (in Sheet 2) runs when a new row is added to auto-populate that date.
    • The Chart Widget is based off of Sheet 2's data, using the Date as the x-axis

Let me know if you have questions after taking a look at the other post!

Cheers,

Genevieve