Creating a dropdown list from values in a column on another sheet

I am trying to create a simple dropdown list of values to select from a customized list of values in another sheet. This list will change over time, so I want to use this reference sheet to update the list values. I have setup the list in Sheet Reference Manager and there is only one column of data in the reference sheet which contains the values for the dropdown list. However, I am at a loss as to what formula to use on the primary sheet column so that it is using the values from the referenced sheet. Thank you for assisting.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @jeffvinsant

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now natively, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• Use the Premium App, Data Shuttle to "sync" dropdown lists.

Is that an option?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• @Andrée Starå Could you explain how the workflow would work using Data Shuttle? I currently use the 3rd party add-in Dropdown Anvil app but would love to find a better way.

Example of what I'm trying to do : We have an employee on-boarding sheet that is live and can be updated & added to throughout the day. I would like to use a column from this sheet as an employee name list and have it as a drop down in multiple other sheets so when new people are added or info is updated, the dropdown options reflect those changes.

(PS. I have submitted an Enhancement Request also but it just seems like this is a basic functionality that I'm just overlooking)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!