Importing from Excel to Show Changes from Prior Import

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I need to import into Smartsheet. The Excel sheet is generated every couple weeks, which means some of the data may change from version to version. Once I create the initial Smartsheet sheet, is there a way to only re-import the data that's changed, or do I need to create a new Smartsheet sheet every time I have an updated Excel report?

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Bobbi,

A solution that would be perfect for this use-case is the premium add-on, Data Uploader. Is that an option?

More info: 

Would that work?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• SHOOD
    SHOOD ✭✭✭✭

Is Data Uploader the same thing as Data Shuttle? Is there a way to import an excel file to update an existing Smartsheet without using Data Uploader or Data Shuttle? Thanks! Susan

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @SHOOD

Yes, Data Shuttle is the updated version of Data Uploader; this is a slightly older post so there have been changes to this app. Data Shuttle can now automatically Upload and Offload data, which is why the name changed.

In regards to importing Excel files, the core Smartsheet application will import an Excel file as a new Smartsheet Sheet (see: Import Files to Create New Sheets). Otherwise you can copy/paste information from one file to the other (see: Tips for Using Copy and Paste).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• When I copy the data information from Excel and pate it into the Smartsheet source datasheet, I got an error message shown as below. I have 3800+ rows needed to copy & paste into Smartsheet, I guess using Data Shuttle App is the only efficient way for the case?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Linda Xie

Does the information need to go into the same sheet each time? An alternative could be to import the sheet instead of copy/pasting the rows. Then you could use a Report to bring this information together with any other sheets you have.

Otherwise, yes, Data Shuttle would be a good solution in this instance.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Hi Genevieve,

Yes, the information needs to be updated with the same sheet each week from Excel file, and this sheet has linked to multiple sheets with formulas, and it contains 3800+ records and 45 columns. I am not sure if a Report could accomplish this task or not?

• Genevieve P.

Hi @Linda Xie

Formulas can't reference Reports, they'll need to look at the underlying sheet. I agree then, that Data Shuttle would be the most efficient way to get this data into the right location.

Thanks!

Genevieve