How to auto-populate manager's Name for entered user in smarsheet

Hi All,

I am working with the organization where i have asked to create an automation on smarsheet:- Task is Manager's Name should get auto populate in a column from the database directly on selecting User Name in other column. (contact Column)

Can we do this? if yes, Could you please guide me on this how to perform above automation.

Answers

• Krissia B.
    Krissia B. Moderator

Hello @Sunshela

When you mean populate the name of the manager? Is the name going to be based off of the email address in the Contact column? If so, I found these community posts on accomplishing what you are trying to do!

Let me know if you have questions or I misunderstood your question. Provide additional details to assist you! You may also share screenshots of what your setup looks like (please block out any sensitive data)

Cheers~

Krissia

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭

Reference Sheet should have all names in one column and the manager assigned to each name in the next column

In the sheet you want to populate the manager's name us the INDEX/MATCH function to reference the sheet containing the information.

=INDEX({Reference 1: Manager's Column},MATCH([User Name],{Reference 2: User Name Column},0),0)

After the formula works right-click on the formula and select "Convert to Column Formula"

If you want to keep things clean put in an IF statement beforehand checking to see if the User Name is blank.

=IF([User Name]="","",INDEX({Reference 1: Manager's Column},MATCH([User Name],{Reference 2: User Name Column},0),0))

• bburrets
    bburrets ✭✭✭

Hi @Sunshela, the solutions provided above are all legitimate. If you are referencing another sheet within smartsheet, then using formulas as posted would work great.

There are ways to do this in a more robust fashion leveraging premium features like Bridge or custom developed solutioning taking advantage of the Smartsheet API.

If you're interested in finding out more about these options, just reply here and we can dive deeper.