Report showing parent task?

Hello, I would like to get a report showing the parent tasks. Is it possible? Thank you

Answers

• Hi Jlind,

Here's how I go about it:

Create a column for Parent Rows using the column formula: =JOIN(ANCESTORS(Task@row), ": ")

This returns a string of the text of the parent rows concatenated together with the delimiter ":" (which is optional, use the delimiter of your choice, e.g., comma, semi-colon).

When you create your report, include the Parent Rows column to display the parent rows with each task.

In some cases, I like to take it a step further to include in my reports only the tasks at the lowest level (i.e., only those that do not have sub-tasks). I do this by creating a column for Count of Child Rows using the column formula: =COUNT(CHILDREN(Task@row))

This returns a value of 0 for those tasks with no sub-tasks. Use this as a filter criterion for the report.

~ Annie ~

• This is great- thanks!!!

• When I use the formula above to achieve this, I get the result in the cell #UNPARSEABLE. Any solution to this?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin

Hi @Jeff Cumbie

You'll need to replace the "Task@row" portion with whatever your column name is... for example:

=COUNT(CHILDREN([Primary Column]@row))

or

=COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]@row))

I hope that helps!

Genevieve

• Thank you. That fixed the issue and the formula s working for me now. Much appreciated!

• sandra.love
    sandra.love ✭✭✭

Is it possible for you to select how many layers of parents are displayed? For example, I have a parent row for my whole sheet that tells the project name but I don't need that included in the description for child tasks 3 deep. Is there an adjustment I can make to the formula?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @sandra.love

I hope you're well and safe!

Not sure I follow! Can you elaborate?

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.