Copy specific cells to another sheet

Options
Waleed
Waleed ✭✭✭✭
edited 11/28/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi ,

Is it possible with automation function to copy specific cells from choice to another sheet with out copying the complete row with all columns

For example To cop cells in column A, B and F to another sheet without copying middle cloumns D, E etc

Thank you

Tags:

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Waleed

I hope you're well and safe!

Unfortunately, it's not possible now, but it's an excellent idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Here's a possible workaround or workarounds

• You could use cross-sheet formulas combined with either a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH structure to connect the sheets, and when you update the source sheet, it will reflect on the destination sheet.
    • Another option would be to use so-called helper sheets. In short, copy the row to a helper sheet and then use my method described previously to get the values you need to another helper sheet and then copy/move the row from that sheet to the main destination sheet.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Waleed
    Waleed ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/20/21
    Options

Honestly. almost fed-up of sending enhancement requests to production .

i feel the chance to consider them like my chances to win lottery :(

I prefer to save time and ask you kindly to more explain about the work around , maybe like in steps :(

• lokesh Sharma
    Options

@Andrée Starå is there any update on request :"""Is it possible with automation function to copy specific cells from choice to another sheet with out copying the complete row with all columns

For example To cop cells in column A, B and F to another sheet without copying middle cloumns D, E etc""

• nbuikema12
    nbuikema12 ✭✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå I would also like to follow-up on this request. It would be exceptionally helpful if only designated columns could be copied to another sheet rather than entire rows.

• JudithN
    JudithN ✭✭
    Options

@Andrée Starå : Please consider that enhancement as it would speed up a lot of tasks. Thank you

• Dan Moore
    Options

I would also very much like to see this as a feature. The proposed workaround above doesn't really cater for what I would like to achieve. I have a cell that has a complex formula for campaign status based on various other fields data. I would like the ability to copy specific cells from a row into another sheet when the status cell changes to a specific value. This way I would be able to have a record of campaigns when the status has changed at any point.

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would love to see this feature as well. We build "Smartsheet Solutions" and adding all the helper sheets recommend above is not always the best solution. Leaves room for errors!

We have a Smartsheet Solutions Intake form that contains way more information than what is needed in the Smartsheet Solutions Library. Would be nice to only copy the needed cells and save the manual work of updating and adding a new solution to the library.

MARLANA KALINOWSKI

Sr. Business Analysts / Smartsheet Solutions

National Pharmacy Services | Genoa Healthcare

• CC Walker
    Options

2.5 years later and still no solution?! I have a use case very similar to Marlana's, where form data entered in the primary column should populate the primary column on 2 or 3 other sheets. The workflow doesn't work, so I thought maybe I could link blank cells in the primary column to the other sheet, and they'd copy over when someone filled out the form, but the new entry just jumps down to the next empty row with no link. How annoying.

• Nandes
    Nandes ✭✭
    Options

I was hoping I could use Data Shuttle for this (sheet to sheet), but no such luck.

I, too, want to see this feature. Maybe split your development team into 2 groups...one to address basic functions and the other for R&D on AI feature...I know the AI stuff is the sexy fun stuff for your developers, but we really need some of these basic functions we have been asking for come through.

• HB_admin
    Options

I need this feature also. I don't like having so many helper columns, helper sheets, and helper columns on helper sheets to do something that I could accomplish by copying a cell value to another sheet via automation if certain criteria are met.

• Thiara Perez
    Options

This feature is super important. I hope to see it added soon!

• whitemd1964
    Options

I am in Dire Need as well of this function.

• Barry Dayton
    Barry Dayton ✭✭✭
    edited 05/01/24
    Options

Wow!!! All of you MUST send your requests to ….

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

or nothing will ever get done to resolve this. And, if you do send in your request then promptly in a few years they will be considered! How great is that?

Otherwise, another forum monitor will provide another quick answer that leaves out most any and all details leaving all of us newbies with our mouths hanging open in total amazement and in awe of their incredible skills and helpfully rich answers. <smile>