Smartsheet Chart Date Axis Formatting

I am trying to create a line chart with dates along the x-axis. The underlying smartsheet data has dates for everyday throughout the year, and when it gets pulled into a line chart the dates are all smushed together (presumably because there are alot of dates).

When I pull in a smaller subset of data limited to only a handful of dates, the dates along the x-axis appear fine:

Ideally, I would only want the x-axis to show the first date of each month (4/1, 5/1, 6/1) while keeping the underlying data in the smart sheet unchanged (the data source will still have dates for each individual day but the axis would be monthly).

Can smartsheet support something like this? I've looked at all the options in the chart widget toolbox but cannot find anything.

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 04/19/22

Not sure if this will work - but - in your data, just remove all the dates expect the first of the month and leave them blank. I think it will still keep the data in order. If not, I'm sorry I don't think there is any way to format an axis like that.

Edit- I'm 95% sure this will work. and if you still need the actual dates for something else, just create a helper column and use that in your chart.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on how many data points you have, I usually use a formula that will pull the 1st and 15th into the helper column mentioned by @Samuel Mueller (I usually call it "Labels").

=IF(OR(DAY([Date Column]@row) = 1, DAY([Date Column]@row) = 15)), [Date Column]@row + "")