Sign in to submit new ideas and vote
Get Started

Hidden Columns List

Options
Nik Fuentes
Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to have a collapsable/expandable list of all hidden columns on a sheet with the option to unhide them from the list. This way, if I have multiple hidden columns and I just want one or two of them, I don't have to unhide everything to get to them. This would also allow you to look for columns that might be hidden without unhiding everything and needing to re-hide it again.

I know that you can unhide one column at a time, but if I have a block of 8 hidden columns and I want the 4th one, I either unhide all 8, or manually unhide 4 one at a time. Neither is ideal.

260 votes

On Roadmap · Last Updated

We really like this idea and agree there's room for improvement in managing many columns in a sheet. This is an area of interest and something we are actively exploring for the future. Thank you!

Comments

• svenu
    svenu ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Totally agree! When the sheets become longer with a lot of information, it does get difficult to unhide all the columns and then go hide them one by one.

Regards

Sowmya Venugopal

CI Analyst II, Niagara Bottling

• Adrian Mandile CHESS
    Adrian Mandile CHESS ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/13/23
    Options

If columns could have a 'Hidden' attribute in their column properties like in Forms, then we could have a 'Hide Columns' option in the right-click column menu, instead of only 'Show All Hidden Column' and then no efficient way of re-hiding them all.

Also, some way to distinguish these 'Hidden' columns when they are made visible, by allowing some form of user-selected (conditional?) formatting within the sheet would also be informative/useful.

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/13/23
    Options

I agree with Adrian on this. We need not to show hidden columns in forms.

I also would like to see all of what is being proposed in this idea implemented.

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Scott Peters
    Scott Peters ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Related - It would be nice to hide/reveal hidden columns in the field picklist when creating a sheet filter

• Pat Canning
    Pat Canning ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The system allows users to hide columns individually or in blocks - good. Unhiding those columns - bad. There are currently only two alternatives to unhiding columns - unhide all, which is ridiculous overkill that requires users to then unhide all the unwanted columns, or unhiding them one at a time by dragging the vertical column separator. This second option is inefficient in that it's one-at-a-time, and undesirable in that unhiding is a manual drag that does not preserve the previous column width. There should be an option to select a block of columns and unhide all columns in that range at the previously saved column widths.

Like functionality should also exist for hiding rows.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    Options

For example, in the edit box when you edit a row, add a column with a checkbox where you can hide and unhide any column in the sheet, something like this:

• Don Young
    Don Young ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perhaps not exactly what you are looking for, but a handy trick I recently learned from a colleague relative to your second point; give the columns you want typically hidden a gray (or some other) background color. That way, when you unhide all, it's easy(er) to hide them again without having to (again) think through whether each column should be hidden. This is something I now do on every sheet I create and it is super helpful.

• vdemattei
    vdemattei ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's an interesting way to manage it. I current use gray for columns that have automations attached to them, meaning "don't fill this out, it will be filled out automatically". I use other colors to mean other things; having a color assigned to typically-hidden rows is definitely something to consider.

I can see this potentially getting a little confusing if you move rows from sheet to sheet (like I do - I have 1 workflow sheet per phase of our workflow, so rows move from workflow to workflow and take all their columns with them as they go). I also copy rows to sub-sheets to track more specific items.

A column that was hidden in one sheet may not want to be hidden in another sheet. This may only require an initial fix, though, so maybe not that big of a deal.

• Don Young
    Don Young ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I like the idea of using to indicate automations will populate. Thanks for sharing. What I had been doing similarly was highlighting fields a certain color relative to the group that is expected to populate them. Ie. project team input vs. PM. That said, I like to limit the amount of colors on my sheets...I think it was a Smartsheet webinar that made me aware of how this can result in something I think they called a clown sheet....too many colors, degrading the effectiveness of any of the colors.

To solve the challenge you note, I would try using conditional formatting. First, on the source sheet I'd set the column colors instead of setting it manually to check whether formatting set conditionally carries over to the new sheet. If it does, set new conditional formatting on the destination sheet.

• stkatch
    stkatch ✭✭✭✭
    Options

PLEASE! I love this idea. I dislike needing to unhide ALL or guessing which ones to expand and then recalling which ones to then hide again when I am through with a review. Currently my work around is to add the word [hide] to the column name or color it dark gray.

• Bill Ketchel
    Bill Ketchel ✭✭✭
    edited 03/11/24
    Options

Having a hide/unhide checklist is the intuitive/obvious way to handle this, as noted by the other commenters. Please implement this function. Unhide all is complete overkill, and very inefficient way to show the columns. I may have 50 hidden columns tracking different metrics, etc.. and to unhide one of them the only option is to unhide all 50 and then re-hide the 49 that I want to remain hidden??? This is a great example of why there are comments online about Smartsheet making simple functions much harder than they should be.

• Nik Fuentes
    Nik Fuentes ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see this is "on roadmap".

Any idea where on said roadmap?