I am trying to do multiple if statements in a formula but can't seem to get it right!

Here is my formula.

=IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row > [Deadline 2]@row, "N/A", IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 1]@row, "[Assessment Date Booked]@row+730", IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 2]@row, "[Assessment Date Booked]@row+365")))

What it is returning is [Assessment date booked]@row + 730 but I want it to add to years to the date in assessment date booked!

Can someone help?

Best Answers

• AaronAtWork
    AaronAtWork ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this and be sure that your column types are Dates:

=IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row > [Deadline 2]@row, "N/A", IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 1]@row, [Assessment Date Booked]@row + 730, IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 2]@row, [Assessment Date Booked]@row + 365, "")))

This revised formula checks:

1. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is greater than [Deadline 2]@row, it returns "N/A".
    2. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is less than [Deadline 1]@row, it adds 730 days to [Assessment Date Booked]@row.
    3. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is less than [Deadline 2]@row but not less than [Deadline 1]@row, it adds 365 days to [Assessment Date Booked]@row.

If none of these conditions are met, it returns an empty string by default.

Shoutout to ChaptGPT for the assist~

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @ionam,

Looks like you removed the wrong character here:

"Assessment Date Booked]@row+730

Remove the " at the beginning and put the [ in its place.

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

Answers

• The quotes around "[Assessment date booked]@row + 730" makes it a string of text. Simply remove the quotes.

• That leaves me with

=IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row > [Deadline 2]@row, "N/A", IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 1]@row, "Assessment Date Booked]@row+730, IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 2]@row, [Assessment Date Booked]@row+365)))

which results in #UNPARSEABLE

• AaronAtWork
    AaronAtWork ✭✭
    Answer ✓

Try this and be sure that your column types are Dates:

=IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row > [Deadline 2]@row, "N/A", IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 1]@row, [Assessment Date Booked]@row + 730, IF([Assessment Date Booked]@row < [Deadline 2]@row, [Assessment Date Booked]@row + 365, "")))

This revised formula checks:

1. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is greater than [Deadline 2]@row, it returns "N/A".
    2. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is less than [Deadline 1]@row, it adds 730 days to [Assessment Date Booked]@row.
    3. If [Assessment Date Booked]@row is less than [Deadline 2]@row but not less than [Deadline 1]@row, it adds 365 days to [Assessment Date Booked]@row.

If none of these conditions are met, it returns an empty string by default.

Shoutout to ChaptGPT for the assist~

• bisaacs
    bisaacs ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hey @ionam,

Looks like you removed the wrong character here:

"Assessment Date Booked]@row+730

Remove the " at the beginning and put the [ in its place.

If my response was helpful in any way (or answered your question) please be sure to upvote it, mark it as awesome, or mark it as the accepted answer!

I'm always looking to connect with other industry professionals, feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn as well!

• @AaronAtWork and @bisaacs

Thanks for this.

I have been at this tracker all day and you have really helped me out here. Time to hang it up for the weekend I think.

Have a good one and much appreciation for your help here.

☺️

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!