I have a build that functions within the following Smartsheet pipeline:
Current Structure
- Form
- A master intake form that feeds into a master intake sheet.
- Master Intake Sheet
- Contains approximately 40 columns of data/questions.
- Currently holds about 1,600 rows of submitted information.
- Metric Sheets
- Approximately 20 separate metric sheets.
- These sheets reference data from the master intake sheet using
SUMIFS formulas and other calculations. - Metrics are primarily calculated based on Month and Location columns from the master intake sheet.
- Location Dashboards
- Approximately 20 individual dashboards, one for each location.
- These dashboards display monthly totals and other metrics generated from the corresponding metric sheets.
- Reports
- About 40 reports total (2 per location).
- These reports are embedded within the individual location dashboards.
- Master Dashboard
- A central dashboard containing links to all 20 location dashboards.
- This dashboard is published through a SharePoint site.
Issue
I have started experiencing an issue where some location dashboards are no longer loading data correctly. In many cases, I can temporarily resolve the issue by opening the corresponding metric sheet, allowing it to load or recalculate, and then returning to the dashboard. However, for some locations, this fix only works for a few minutes before the dashboard begins displaying errors again.
The error messages vary depending on the widget type, chart, or report that is being displayed.
My Assumption
I suspect the issue may be related to the volume of data and calculations being processed. Currently, the solution includes:
- Approximately 40 data columns.
- Around 1,600 rows of records.
- 20 metric sheets referencing and aggregating data from the intake sheet.
- Multiple
SUMIFS and other formulas across those metric sheets. - 20 location dashboards.
- 40 reports.
- A master dashboard linking everything together.
Given the number of cross-sheet references, formulas, reports, and dashboards, I am wondering if I am reaching a performance limitation within Smartsheet.
Possible Workaround?
I have seen suggestions online where users create an automation that checks and then unchecks a checkbox field in the source sheet to force Smartsheet to recalculate or refresh its data. However, I am concerned that this may not be effective in my situation because some of the individual dashboards stop displaying data again within 15 minutes of closing the associated metric sheet.
Questions
- Does this sound like a Smartsheet performance or recalculation limitation?
- Has anyone experienced dashboards requiring metric sheets to be manually opened before data appears correctly?
- Would an automated "refresh" workflow (check/uncheck checkbox) be a viable solution, or would I be better off redesigning the architecture to reduce dependencies and calculations?