I’m exploring how MCP could move Smartsheet from being a place where project information is stored to something a project manager can actually interact with conversationally.
For example, I have a multi-sheet project workspace containing:
- Roadmap and workstreams
- Activities and milestones
- Risks, issues and dependencies
- Decisions
- Meeting logs
- Engagement tracking
- Benefits and evaluation
I’m interested in whether MCP could support questions like:
“What has changed since our last working group meeting?”
“Which high-priority activities are at risk?”
“What decisions are still outstanding?”
“Show me the dependencies that could affect our next milestone.”
“Prepare a briefing for tomorrow’s project meeting based on the current workspace.”
The interesting part to me is not simply retrieving rows. It’s whether MCP can understand the relationships between the different sheets and provide useful project-level context.
Has anyone built something similar? I’d be particularly interested in how you’ve structured your sheets, IDs, metadata or prompts to make the underlying Smartsheet information more useful to an agent.