Connect with peers, share your expertise, and inspire what’s next in Smartsheet — from proven practices to practical how-to insights from fellow users and product experts.
Sign in to join the conversation:
Hello,
I have sheet to where I add rows with a smartsheet form so the number of rows increases. At the top of the sheet I have a metrics section where I want to sum (with a SumIF function) the rows starting from row 10 to the last row. How can I do that?
Thanks,
Risto
Hi Risto,
You can use the new function that was just released called DESCENDANTS.
DESCENDANTS([parent_cell])
More info: https://help.smartsheet.com/function/descendants
Would that work?
Have a fantastic day!
Best,
Andrée Starå
Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting
Andree,
Do you know where I can find an explanation of what is considered a "descendant"? I have been playing with this to figure out exactly what all is encompassed by this function, but the results I am getting... I can't interpret them to simplify it for others because it's just not making sense to me.
The description in the Function List is the best I've found, and I haven't had time to play around with it yet.
https://help.smartsheet.com/function/descendants
Used within another function to reference all descendant rows of the referenced cell of the parent row.
The parent cell for which you want to return all descendants. If no cell is specified, the function references all descendants of the current cell.
Hope that helps!
I read that and even played with it in the Formula Examples Template to get a feel for it. It was definitely behaving quite unexpectedly in my opinion. I may start a new thread on it to see what other people have to say about it.
Thanks!
EDIT:
Here's the thread if anyone wants to add their input or follow along out of curiosity...
https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/descendants-function
I don't see how descendants() can be used to answer the original question?
Similar to the original, I need to reference a range from the next row to the last row. This is regardless of parent/child relationships. This particular sheet I'm using has no parent/child relationships actually. How would I reference the last row that has data?
I'm building executive reports to show which projects are active by quarter. I have start and end dates for each project to show the active date range. The output I'm looking for is a report showing what was active last quarter. Another report showing what is active this quarter. And what will be active next quarter.…
Hello, I have automations enabled in several spreadsheets where, whenever any value is entered in a specific column, the entire row should be copied to another spreadsheet. The automation is configured so that the row is copied whenever the automation is triggered. However, I identified several cases that were properly…
Hello! I'm sure this is a basic question that I'm just missing the how-to on. Our orginization has a master schedule for the year. I need to take from that master schedule and populate a different sheet based on a date. For example, master schedule has a column of dates. Multiple rows will contain that date. I need to pull…