Connect with peers, share your expertise, and inspire what’s next in Smartsheet — from proven practices to practical how-to insights from fellow users and product experts.
Sign in to join the conversation:
Hello
I need to have a running total expense column on my smartsheet for budgetary checks. Can someone help me with a solution please? I would like a column that updates with a cumulative $ after I enter an expense amount in another existing column.
Thanking you in advance.
Lawrie.
Hi Lawrie,
Do you only want to sum everything in the other column or by different categories or something else?
Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)
Have a fantastic day!
Best,
Andrée Starå
Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting
Try something like this and add the formula at the first row in the Cumulative Cost column where the Amount starts and drag down as long as you need.
=SUM(Amount$1:Amount@row)The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.=SUM(Amount$1:Amount@row)Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.
Did it work?
Hope that helps!
Glad we got it working!
Have a fantastic week!
Andrée
Andrée, do you know if there's a way to achieve this using the new column formula capability? Because $1 is hard-coded in the formula it gets bounced with a 'syntax isn't quite right' message.
@cleversheet
I hope you're well and safe!
Excuse the late response.
Yes, I think so. I think I've seen a workaround to make it work.
I'll get back to the post when I find it.
Be safe and have a fantastic weekend!
Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD
The dashboard previously contained 16 widgets, and I have confirmed that the widgets still exist in the backend. However, when I open the dashboard, nothing is displayed, and I am unable to enter Edit Mode or access the widgets/data sources. I have already confirmed the following: I am the owner of the dashboard and have…
I have an end date column and want to add 30 days to that for a new column that shows due date. How do I add 30 days to a date automatically?
Why is it so convoluted now! I eventually figured out the changes and ended up with a sheet that Smartsheet completely reorganised the rows and the sheet is now useless to me as it is not in a logical order for me to easily restore to its original layout. This is not an "improvement"! It was far easier to upload data…