It's been a few days since ENGAGE 2022 wrapped and we're still buzzing! You, our Community Members, came out STRONG all week at the event and we couldn't be more impressed with your passion and energy.
Here are just a few of our favorite moments:
1) Smartsheet Overachievers (both Active and Alumni) and the Community Rockstars came together and met for the first time in real life!
This supergroup led to amazing connections and friendships, and many of these advocates stopped by the Community Booth in the Experience Hub to rock the crown (and boa, of course) to meet other customers. Did you spot them during the conference?
2) The Community booth was hoppin! We were so happy to see you all as you stopped by to play Smartpardy, Smart Libs, or enter our daily giveaways. Seriously, you put a huge smile on our faces - thank you.
Shoutout to our swag winners - we want to see you rock your new backpacks and swag! Drop a photo in the comments below. ⬇️
Now that our biggest event of the year has come to a close, what's next?
- Smartpardy and Smart Libs still live on here on the platform! Play the virtual versions of them for the next week and don't forget to post your results in the comments below.
- Stay connected to your new friends right here in the Events Topic. Join in on an existing conversation or start a new one as you share your ENGAGE learnings with your internal teams. We always want to know what you're building and creating!
- If you just signed up for Community as a new member, introduce yourself in the Show & Tell topic so we can get to know you better.
We are so lucky to have each and every one of you in this Community platform and at large. You amplify our powers!
Alison + The Community Team
As the Operations Manager at Alluvionic, Inc., Florida-based Cherise is a Smartsheet partner and builds solutions for clients. Recently, a government client was struggling to build structure around their reservation process for a large facility. Cherise and her colleague Dustin were able to demo an automated metrics sheet and dashboard, and now, the automation will help the client get important funding that will keep the building operational and staffed. "The project sponsor felt a weight taken off of her," Cherise says.
When it comes to the Community, Cherise has a simple message for new Smartsheet customers: Do it! "Don't struggle alone if you are stuck with something," she says. "There is a whole community who wants to help, for Smartsheet and for life."
Outside of solving problems, Cherise enjoys her time with her husband and their pug, and you can often catch her roller blading or enjoying a craft cocktail. With spooky season approaching in the US, you might find her enjoying the live action Scooby Doo movies. Zoinks!
Do you know someone in the Community who should be next month's Member Spotlight? Nominate them here 🤩
The Contact List, Dropdown (Single Select), and Dropdown (Multi Select), are useful tools to control data entry. The problem is they require a lot of maintenance.
Through Bridges, we have a sheet that is populated with information from our ADP. It contains all of our employees. Using a Contact List column and selecting the range of emails on the Employee sheet, as values would be very useful.
Moving to the dropdown column, it would be helpful if we could set some defined values, but if a new value is entered, have that value added into "values" for that dropdown column.
I have a Workspace with folders for different teams. Is it possible to give access to certain folders and not the entire workspace?
Currently I am giving everyone viewing access to the Workspace and the editing access to specific sheets.
It would be nice to manage the access rights on folder level
We are fortunate to have multiple Data Shuttle gurus in our organization, but it has become difficult to track who owns the workflows that manage different dropdowns and sheet rows. It would be fantastic if there were ways for all users to easily identify what dropdowns/rows are being updated via Data Shuttle workflows, and better yet, be able to view or edit them. Here's a sample scenario, along with some suggested improvements:
Scenario: We populate project-selection dropdowns on many different forms using Data Shuttle. Today a team member contacted me because one form's project-selection dropdown was missing some recent projects. I wasn't able to tell any of the following:
- Is the dropdown list maintained manually or via Data Shuttle?
- If via Data Shuttle, who owns that workflow?
- What are the workflow settings?
To make troubleshooting easy, I recommend the following:
- Add an indication to the sheet that a Data Shuttle workflow is in play. (e.g. a note in the column settings that says "* Dropdown list managed via Data Shuttle workflow."
- Better yet, make the note say, "* Dropdown list managed via Data Shuttle workflow owned by user xyz."
- As the best option, make that note a clickable link that takes you to the Data Shuttle workflow itself. The owner of the workflow could enable view and edit permissions on each workflow.
It would be really great if we could save a blueprint mid-build without having to click all the way through to the end or at least jump to a specific section using the list on the right side of the screen.
There was recently a build where we realized we needed to adjust a few things on our Intake and Metrics sheets while setting up our Blueprint. To be able to save the work we had already done, we had to click all the way through the rest of the screens, make the updates, refresh, then click through the first few sections to get back to where we were working.
Having a save button on each of those screens and/or being able to click on the section we want to jump to on the right hand panel would both be great features.
I could go on about it, but there are some basic “table-stakes” sorts of features that need to be incorporated into how column contact lists are handled within Smartsheet. First and foremost, please, for the 37th time, allow us to drag a group in and create items contacts within a column contact list.
ALSO, please make it so that we can COPY a column with Contacts loaded and use it again in the same sheet!
Neither should be a premium feature or require an API buildup! This would have saved me hours so far this year, and could easily save me more! ...Do the same thing for Forms please!
when adding metric widgets to a dashboard it is currently very difficult to separate different pcs of information.
A simple change for this would be to give the option for background colors and borders on the widgets (this can be extended to other widgets as well)