Counting blanks in a Contacts column

I'm trying to count the number of blank cells in a Contacts column in a remote sheet. Here's the formula:

=COUNTIF({SE-Onboarding Tracker - DM}, "")

The problem is ... it's returning a value of 30 when it should be 1. There's only 20 rows and only one of them doesn't have a Contact stored in the DM column. And yes I'm 100% sure there aren't any blank rows at the end of my sheet. Someone suggested I use this instead:

=COUNTIF({SE-Onboarding Tracker - DM}, "=")

That returns a value of 20 which is the number of rows including the one with the blank. Any suggestions?

Best Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sorry about that. I completely missed that one.

Your latest does make sense though. There are always at a minimum 50 rows in a sheet, and you have 10 filled in.

One last thing to try on the original... Is there another column that will always have something in it on every row that needs to be counted? If so you can count where the contact column is blank and that other column is not blank. There still seems to be some issue with your first sheet considering even when we count non-blanks we get the wrong number, but it is at least one more thing to try that Support will probably also suggest.

=COUNTIFS({Contact Column}, @cell = "", {Other Column}, @cell <> "")

• Robert Francher
    Robert Francher ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I was not aware of the 50 row internal limit. Good to know. I now see why you had me try -10. If my sheet had more than 50 rows, that would have worked but I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure why :-P

Anyway, your formula suggestion gives me the output I’m expecting. Thank you Mr. Newcome. You’re the best!

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!