Custom Recurrence on Workflows

I have a workflow that I want to create a custom recurrence for that is based off a specified date.

For instance if I want to send a message to someone as of a certain date, and if they don't reply by a certain date (let's say 3 days) then a reminder message gets sent. According to my Custom Recurrence it won't let me start the workflow messaging per the date of the field in Smartsheet, it just says as of a specified date, and that date can change based on the request.

An example is I have three fields in my Smartsheet titled "Pending Communicator", "Pending Communications Date", and "Was Resolved"

I created a workflow that says:

Trigger: When a date is reached

Run: I need this to be Custom to repeat every so many days after the date on the "Pending Communications" field (which can be different days per request)

It does not allow me to choose the date as of the Pending Communications date. Am I asking for it in the wrong place?

Anyone's help will be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use three columns for this. When I run a Workflow I have it "Record a date" in [Last Message Sent]. Then by formula [Next Message Date] calculates the number of days after [Last Message Sent] based on the value in [Days Between Messages]—which itself can be formula driven. The subsequent Workflow generates upon reaching [Next Message Date].

In your case, [Days Between Messages] would be how long you want to wait after there's no reply, and of course the formula in [Next Message Date] can include leaving that column blank if a timely reply has been received.

I suspect something along these lines might enable you to achieve your intent here.

• adam.b
    adam.b ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this. However, I want the reminder to be sent every three days until an answer has been received. I am looking for that start date to be as of a certain date.

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So set [Last Message Sent] using the RecordADate workflow action every time you run the reminder message until the answer is received, at which point a condition in your workflow detects receipt of the answer and diverts to setting [Last Message Sent] to = "" — then the process will stop because [Next Message Date] will have in its formula to be blank when [Last Message Sent] is blank, and therefore no further reminders. To have the message sent every three days, simply populate [Days Between Messages] with 3 (whether from a column formula as "=3" or perhaps better yet a summary field [Days Between Messages]# where you can easily change 3 to any other number and instantly affect the whole [Days Between Messages] column. The [Last Message Sent] would initially be filled (ie, "start date to be as of a certain date") however you want it to be done, whether manually or based on some formula result (eg, date a certain box was checked elsewhere on the row, using the RecordADate workflow action to start the process).

• EimearC
    EimearC ✭✭

Hi @Cleversheet ,

That looks like a great solution & I am trying to implement something similar but I'm struggling with it, would you be so kind as to show some pictures of the workflow & sheet that you have set up in this manner?

Many thanks

• Cleversheet
    Cleversheet ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@EimearC , if you still need help with this get back to me. Sorry for taking months to spot your query.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!