Editor - Can Share not able to unhide/hide columns

rachelc
rachelc ✭✭
edited 02/09/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Why can't a person with Editor - Can Share permission no hide or unhide an unlocked column? This isn't removing/adding anything to the sheet, just assisting in their ability to view data more effectively in a large sheet.

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/09/23

Hi @rachelc ,

Only sheet owners or licensed Admins can manipulate columns like that. Editors can only do data entry.

All the best,

-Ray

• rachelc
    rachelc ✭✭

Hi Ray, thanks for your quick response. I guess my question to Smartsheet is "why". If an Editor can add data, why can't they be able to hide/unhide unlocked columns to make it easier to view/update, etc. Seems like a less invasive function than adding data.

• KellieT
    KellieT ✭✭

I would also like to understand why an Editor with share access cannot customize their view of sheet to hide/unhide columns and specify the time scale. This should do nothing to the foundation data, just optimize the view for an individual user.

• I appreciate the function of only allowing Admins and Owners to hide or unhide columns. I work for a large agency and this allows me to use reports that pull data from more sensitive data sheets without compromising confidentiality yet providing the information the sheet editors need.