Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Children and Sub Children

Options
hallashley
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2017 Posts

Hello,

I need a little help with formulas. I want the parent to count the children and the sub children separately. Example below. I was able get the parent to count the children but when I try to count the sub children separately it counts all the children. This is the formula I used to count the children =("CONTRACT NAME - " + COUNT(CHILDREN()) + " openings")

Example: The "2 Submitted" is what I want the formula to also count

CONTRACT NAME - 6 Openings 2 Submitted

17-ZOO-946- Software Engineer 0

Smith, Bob

17-IB-945- Software Engineer 1

17-TBINE-944- Software Engineer 1

17-SVC-940- Configuration Manager 1

17-SVC-941- Trainer 1

17-LAB-942- Network Engineer 2

NE2- Doe, John

Thank you,

Ashley

Tags:

Comments

• Shaine Greenwood
    Shaine Greenwood Employee
    edited 06/07/17
    Options

Hi Ashley,

To accomplish this, you'll need to create a "Child Count" Text/Number column and place a formula like this example...

=COUNT(CHILDREN([Employee Column]1))

...Where "Employee Column" is your column that contains both the Software Engineer 0, Software Engineer 1, etc. and their children, if any.

You can then place a formula in your CONTRACT NAME parent-most cell like this...

="CONTRACT NAME: " + COUNT(CHILDREN()) + " Openings " + SUM([Child Count]:[Child Count]) + " Submitted"

...Which will count children and Sum the "Child Count" column.

Make sure to adapt these formula to your sheet and reference your cells as needed. More information on our available functions can be found in our Help Center: https://help.smartsheet.com/functions

This discussion has been closed.