Can you preserve the contact list data type (email) across a reference/lookup formula??

Options

Hi all,

So, I am trying to pull in a value from a contact list through a reference sheet. The two formulas below are pulling the correct values, but the values retrieved are converting the contact list email into what appears to be a contact's name as a text field.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a way to pull in the complete contact information without it converting into a text field (so I can use it for dynamic contact list filtering and other features)?

The data in the formulas below are all email addresses (contact lists), but the output is always a name string/text.

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP([Sales Representative]@row, {Reference - Name & Email & Location - NEW Range 3}, 5, false), "Unassigned")

=INDEX({Reference - Name & Email & Location - NEW Range 2}, MATCH([Sales Representative]@row, {Reference - Name & Email & Location - NEW Range 4}, 0))

Best Answer

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Noah Tamminga - try converting the column where you are getting your results/output as a "Contact List" column type and see if that makes a difference. I am assuming what that should do is, it should pick up the contact name and change it to email just by the reference of the name.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Ipshita Mukherjee

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!