Limitations of Copying Rows

Options

I have a sheet for each project my company works for. I am an admin on all of these sheets. We want to create an automation that copies the line to a separate sheet when a checkbox is checked. The idea being that the line in each sheet is copied to this separate sheet when a Project Manager directs someone to work on that line as a sort of log of directives. I created this Directive Log sheet. I attempted to create the automation in multiple sheets. When I went to select the target sheet, Directive Log, it wasn't listed in the options. There were sheets available in my Sheets list as well as well as Workspaces, but the Directive Log was not there. I tried multiple sheets and had the same result. I then saved the sheet as new and I was able to create the automation. Is there a limitation to copying rows that I am not aware of? Do I need to be an owner to copy lines? I would greatly appreciate your help with this.

Tags:

Best Answer

• Bobert
    Bobert ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I found the answer to my question. If you are trying to copy or move lines from a sheet, the owner of the source sheet must be shared on the new sheet.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Bobert

I hope you're well and safe!

As long as the following is true, it should work.

Who can use this capability

The sheet Owner and Admins on both the source and destination sheets can create an automated move or copy rows action. A license is required.

Anyone who can make edits to the sheet (either directly, through a report, or through an update or approval request) can potentially trigger an automated move or copy rows action.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Bobert
    Bobert ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, that doesn't resolve my issue. I am an admin on the problem sheets and I have a license. I can't seem to figure out why I can find some sheets when I select a destination, but not all of my sheets.

• Bobert
    Bobert ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I found the answer to my question. If you are trying to copy or move lines from a sheet, the owner of the source sheet must be shared on the new sheet.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!