Best Practice: Dynamic View for Approvals

Options
Neil Watson
Neil Watson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 02/17/23 in Add Ons and Integrations

Hi,

I am about to embark on developing an approval process in DV. The reason I want to use DV is that the process has 4 main approvers, with approvals in series. However, any of the approvers will have the option to add additional approvers (if they feel the project warrants additional oversight). These additional approvers are not in series, but if selected their approval is needed before the change can be implemented.

• Should the source be a sheet or a report - which is better? Specifically pro's of using reports.
  • Should each main approver (and the optional approvers) have their own view?
  • If not, what is the best way to use a single view that changes depending on who the approver is?

It looks like a fair amount of work and before I get stuck in, keen to hear from others what works best.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/17/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Neil Watson - We, at our org are trying to achieve a very similar thing, call it a Route for Approval using a combination of both Dynamic View and the Automation Workflow for "Request for Approval" - it's turning out great. The main sheet where we have the data - call it Tracker A, for example has all the key values with details such as task names, start date, end date, status, owner names etc which is linked out to a Dynamic View and locked by current user view so each of the approving managers only sees his part of the requests. We have set up another sheet, call it Tracker B that is for filling up a Form (Request Form) and is set up in a way that the Requestor sends it out for First Check (which is our own validation of the request), then First Approval to Manager at Level 1, if that gets approved - then the request goes to second level and so on and so forth. We have also designed the reverse situation where if the request gets declined or sent back for review then how does that get managed in the system. Here is a snapshot (below). Now, these two sheets are linked to each other so there is a back and forth communication between the two such as when we send out the approval using automation, it gets reflected in dynamic view. We just successfully finished creating this yesterday, tested it and it's working. I wish I could share more detailed view but since this is at a Director and VP level, I can't :(

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ipshita

Ipshita Mukherjee

Answers

• Ipshita
    Ipshita ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/17/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @Neil Watson - We, at our org are trying to achieve a very similar thing, call it a Route for Approval using a combination of both Dynamic View and the Automation Workflow for "Request for Approval" - it's turning out great. The main sheet where we have the data - call it Tracker A, for example has all the key values with details such as task names, start date, end date, status, owner names etc which is linked out to a Dynamic View and locked by current user view so each of the approving managers only sees his part of the requests. We have set up another sheet, call it Tracker B that is for filling up a Form (Request Form) and is set up in a way that the Requestor sends it out for First Check (which is our own validation of the request), then First Approval to Manager at Level 1, if that gets approved - then the request goes to second level and so on and so forth. We have also designed the reverse situation where if the request gets declined or sent back for review then how does that get managed in the system. Here is a snapshot (below). Now, these two sheets are linked to each other so there is a back and forth communication between the two such as when we send out the approval using automation, it gets reflected in dynamic view. We just successfully finished creating this yesterday, tested it and it's working. I wish I could share more detailed view but since this is at a Director and VP level, I can't :(

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Ipshita

Ipshita Mukherjee