Counting Check Boxes

Hello Smartsheet Community,

I am trying to count the number of rows that are checked in a specific column. When I use the formula in the screen shot below, instead of returning the number 1 (for total number of boxes checked in that column) it actually checks the box. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

Best Answer

• Michael Clement
    Answer ✓

I've never used a formula ON the column with the checkbox. The 0 or 1, true or false, for the column is different than a cell with an equation. For creating a count of a column I find is best done with a Summary field. You can then quickly create reports/dashboard metrics using the summary fields. But inline ON the grid... I would create a field to the right of the checkbox column and you can add the count there. CountIFS you can use for a single column, works if you plan to add parameters later. Otherwise, use CountIF.

Answers

• You should use a Sheet Summary field. If only counting one column, just use CountIF. CountIFS would work if you are trying to count the checks in multiple fields.

• @Michael Clement thank you for answering my question. I plan on utilizing the formula in the six columns in the screenshot I provided in my original post. Would you still use COUNTIF or should I use COUNTIFS? Also would I still need a sheet summary field?

• Michael Clement
    Answer ✓

I've never used a formula ON the column with the checkbox. The 0 or 1, true or false, for the column is different than a cell with an equation. For creating a count of a column I find is best done with a Summary field. You can then quickly create reports/dashboard metrics using the summary fields. But inline ON the grid... I would create a field to the right of the checkbox column and you can add the count there. CountIFS you can use for a single column, works if you plan to add parameters later. Otherwise, use CountIF.

• @Michael Clement Thank you. Sheet Summary is the way to go. I was able to get all of the columns inputted into the sheet summary for this template. I appreciate the help and have a great week!

• I'm struggling with the countifs in the summary to count checked boxes. I can count names or numbers but I haven't been able to count checks. I was hoping someone might be able to help. I did try =COUNTIFS([Internally Resolved, claim/credit open]:[Internally Resolved, claim/credit open], "<>") to count but it returned every cell and not just the checked ones. Any help would be appreciated.

thank you

chris

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Christopher Winter

I hope you're well and safe!

Try something like this.

=COUNTIFS([Internally Resolved, claim/credit open]:[Internally Resolved, claim/credit open],1)

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi @Andrée Starå, thank you very much, that worked perfectly!!

• EU82
    EU82 ✭✭

Hello Community,

I wanted to piggyback off the original post and take it one step further with adding a % of the amount of checkboxes in the sheet summary. What formula would I use?

Thanks in advance.

• Hey @EU82

To find a percentage, you'll want to count the number of rows that aren't blank in a different column (for your total) and divide the count of checkboxes by that.

For example:

=COUNTIFS([Checkbox Column]:[Checkbox Column],1) / COUNTIFS([Primary Column]:[Primary Column],<> "")

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!