OFFSET calculation

Hello,

I am wondering if I could have some help on a calculation matter.
As I have tried to find quickly some answers on the forum, it seems that you can not use the OFFSET function from Excel in Smartsheet. Right now I was using it in column H to calculate the stock of the compounds in the inventory.

The goal is to add the values of column O to find the value of column H. The OFFSET function I had was the following one:

=SUM(O3:OFFSET(O3,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(ISBLANK(O3:O3002),0),0)-1,0))

Will something be able to replace it in an easy manner?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best Answer

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Laetitia

From your Excel sheet's image, I guess you are trying to calculate in Column H, if Column O in the same row is blank, the SUM of Column O values from the next row down to the next blank row.

To do that, I added a helper column, Row, equivalent to the row position in Excel.

Then, I added another helper column, Next Blank Row, with the following formula;

Next Blank Row

=IF(ISBLANK(O@row), IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT(Row:Row, O:O, ISBLANK(@cell), Row:Row, >Row@row), 1), MAX(Row:Row) + 1))

The formula works as follows:

1. IF(ISBLANK(O@row), ...): This checks if the current cell in the column O is blank. If it's blank, the formula proceeds with the IF block; otherwise, it does nothing.
    2. IFERROR(...): This handles potential errors in the nested INDEX(COLLECT(...)) function. If an error occurs (e.g., no matching values are found), it defaults to the value in the MAX(Row:Row) + 1 part.
    3. The result is a list of row numbers that meet both conditions.
      • COLLECT(Row:Row, O:O, ISBLANK(@cell), Row:Row, >Row@row):
        • Row:Row: Specifies the row numbers to be collected.
        • O:O, ISBLANK(@cell): This condition filters rows where the corresponding cell in the column O is blank.
        • Row:Row, >Row@row: This condition filters rows where the row number is greater than the current row (Row@row).
    4. MAX(Row:Row) + 1: If no matching rows are found (which would lead to an error in INDEX), the formula returns the next sequential row number by taking the maximum row number in the sheet (MAX(Row:Row)) and adding

This formula checks if the current row in the column O is blank. If it is, it tries to find the first row number after the current one where the column O is also blank. If such a row is found, it returns that row number; if not, it returns the next available row number based on the maximum row number in the sheet.

SUMIFS formula at N

Using the Next Blank Row, we can calculate the desired sum with the following formula using the SUMIFS function;

=IF(ISBLANK(O@row), SUMIFS(O:O, Row:Row, >Row@row, Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row))

If the current row in column O is blank, the formula sums the values in column O between the current row and the next blank row in column O.

SUMIFS(O:O, Row:Row, >Row@row, Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row):

• This sums up the values in the column O based on the conditions specified by SUMIFS.

Here's a breakdown of the conditions:

• O:O: This is the range of values to be summed (values in column O).
    • Row:Row, >Row@row: This condition specifies that only rows with a row number greater than the current row (Row@row) should be included in the sum.
    • Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row: This condition specifies that only rows with a row number less than the [Next Blank Row]@row should be included. [Next Blank Row]@row refers to a reference or formula that identifies the next row where there is a blank in the column O.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=2c67d5f6393042e292fe5d7a1643ff02

Answers

• jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp
    jmyzk_cloudsmart_jp ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Laetitia

From your Excel sheet's image, I guess you are trying to calculate in Column H, if Column O in the same row is blank, the SUM of Column O values from the next row down to the next blank row.

To do that, I added a helper column, Row, equivalent to the row position in Excel.

Then, I added another helper column, Next Blank Row, with the following formula;

Next Blank Row

=IF(ISBLANK(O@row), IFERROR(INDEX(COLLECT(Row:Row, O:O, ISBLANK(@cell), Row:Row, >Row@row), 1), MAX(Row:Row) + 1))

The formula works as follows:

1. IF(ISBLANK(O@row), ...): This checks if the current cell in the column O is blank. If it's blank, the formula proceeds with the IF block; otherwise, it does nothing.
    2. IFERROR(...): This handles potential errors in the nested INDEX(COLLECT(...)) function. If an error occurs (e.g., no matching values are found), it defaults to the value in the MAX(Row:Row) + 1 part.
    3. The result is a list of row numbers that meet both conditions.
      • COLLECT(Row:Row, O:O, ISBLANK(@cell), Row:Row, >Row@row):
        • Row:Row: Specifies the row numbers to be collected.
        • O:O, ISBLANK(@cell): This condition filters rows where the corresponding cell in the column O is blank.
        • Row:Row, >Row@row: This condition filters rows where the row number is greater than the current row (Row@row).
    4. MAX(Row:Row) + 1: If no matching rows are found (which would lead to an error in INDEX), the formula returns the next sequential row number by taking the maximum row number in the sheet (MAX(Row:Row)) and adding

This formula checks if the current row in the column O is blank. If it is, it tries to find the first row number after the current one where the column O is also blank. If such a row is found, it returns that row number; if not, it returns the next available row number based on the maximum row number in the sheet.

SUMIFS formula at N

Using the Next Blank Row, we can calculate the desired sum with the following formula using the SUMIFS function;

=IF(ISBLANK(O@row), SUMIFS(O:O, Row:Row, >Row@row, Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row))

If the current row in column O is blank, the formula sums the values in column O between the current row and the next blank row in column O.

SUMIFS(O:O, Row:Row, >Row@row, Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row):

• This sums up the values in the column O based on the conditions specified by SUMIFS.

Here's a breakdown of the conditions:

• O:O: This is the range of values to be summed (values in column O).
    • Row:Row, >Row@row: This condition specifies that only rows with a row number greater than the current row (Row@row) should be included in the sum.
    • Row:Row, <[Next Blank Row]@row: This condition specifies that only rows with a row number less than the [Next Blank Row]@row should be included. [Next Blank Row]@row refers to a reference or formula that identifies the next row where there is a blank in the column O.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=2c67d5f6393042e292fe5d7a1643ff02

• Hey there :)
    That was just an incredible response and does exactly what needed doing!! Thank you very much for your help

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!