Setup Automation to copy child rows from one sheet to under specific parent rows in another sheet.

I am working on an inventory project where we have one main inventory sheet and then multiple satellite location inventories. We have four categories of inventory types: Category A, Category B, Category C, and Category D. There are a couple things I want to do here:

1. Once the inventory is entered into a satellite location sheet, I have an automation setup to alert me of an added row. Then I have a QA checkbox column. Once the box is checked, I would like for the row to copy to the main inventory sheet under the correct Category parent. So, anything that is a child row the satellite inventory under category A will be copied as a child row under Category A in the main inventory sheet.
  2. I would like for the location column cells to be automatically referenced from one sheet to another. If a location/status on the satellite inventory is changed, then I would like for that information to be changed in the main inventory. I just don't want to have to create a cell reference for each line if that can be automated.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/02/23

Hi @mgilkessmith

I hope you're well and safe!

Have you explored using Reports?

Can you share some screenshots? (Delete/replace any confidential/sensitive information before sharing) That would make it easier to help.

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• emak
    emak ✭✭

Hello, I am also trying to do similar automation, having the rows from one task specific sheet automatically copy over to another sheet under specific parent rows. I have used reports previously to organize tasks by work area or "parent" milestone but the intention of this idea is to have a task sheet that staff add and maintain tasks that are then copied over to a project timeline sheet. Would love to hear if this is feasible

• I am looking to do the same thing, but for a different use case. I would like to use an action item log to make entry of new action items easy, but then have each action logged automatically moved from the log to a project plan under the appropriate milestone. Is this possible?

• Hi @JMerritt

You can automatically Move rows to different sheets using the Move Row workflow. However the row will appear at the bottom of the sheet and then you'll need to move it to the correct milestone.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Thanks @Genevieve P., we do use the move row workflow often. The exact issue you mentioned is what I am trying to avoid. We spend a lot of time just moving things to the right place whereas if we could add it to one log, and it auto moved, we could copy and paste from our meeting notes submit and be done.