How do I send an immediate update request followed by recurring update requests until completed?

Options
kebern
kebern ✭✭✭
edited 03/01/23 in Smartsheet Basics

My current attempt:

1) When rows are added, update 'Status' to 'Pending Update'

2) When rows are added or changed AND when 'Status' changes to 'Pending Update', request an update (this is the immediate/initial update request)

3) When rows are added or changed AND when 'Status' changes to 'Pending Update', record a date in 'Update Request Sent'

4) When a date is reached (every week on MWF), where 'Status' is 'Pending Update', and where 'Update field' is blank, and where 'Update Request Sent' is not today, request an update (this is the recurring update request)

I feel like there must be a simpler way to do this with fewer workflows? Thank you!

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kebern

This looks good to me!

You potentially don't need the third workflow, to record the date, since you have the "update field" being blank as a criteria in your recurring workflow. However I would keep it just so you can track when the update was completed. (There is of course the Update Request Log on the right panel that tracks this, but it's not in the grid of the sheet.)

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @kebern

This looks good to me!

You potentially don't need the third workflow, to record the date, since you have the "update field" being blank as a criteria in your recurring workflow. However I would keep it just so you can track when the update was completed. (There is of course the Update Request Log on the right panel that tracks this, but it's not in the grid of the sheet.)

Cheers,

Genevieve