Getting timeout when moving large rows manually to another sheet

Options
jmhoward
jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a setup where I have a sheet. I need to import Excel data to this sheet weekly. The sheet and the Excel file have the exact same column names. The data has 145 columns and around 450 rows. Because I can't import directly to the sheet, I tried using copy paste. But, I run into the column limitation that only allows 50 columns to be copy and pasted at one time.

So, I thought I'd try to import the Excel file to a new sheet and then manually move all 450 rows to the active sheet. When I do this, I get the "Sorry, we're having trouble reaching Smartsheet right now" error. I tried breaking the move down into groups of 200 rows, but still get the same error. Smartsheet status isn't indicating that anything is wrong.

Any ideas how I can work around this? Thank you!

Tags:

Best Answer

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I copy/paste in 500 rows at a time in one sheet but there is only about 15 columns and even then sometimes I get an error. Smartsheet has limits on it's columns and rows but the real limit is the total amount of data being transferred which can cause the system to fail. You will have to play around with the number that you move but I think 200 is still too much for Smartsheet to handle at one time. Also make sure to save between each copy/paste.

Answers

• Devin Lee
    Devin Lee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I copy/paste in 500 rows at a time in one sheet but there is only about 15 columns and even then sometimes I get an error. Smartsheet has limits on it's columns and rows but the real limit is the total amount of data being transferred which can cause the system to fail. You will have to play around with the number that you move but I think 200 is still too much for Smartsheet to handle at one time. Also make sure to save between each copy/paste.

• jmhoward
    jmhoward ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks @Devin Lee. I was wondering if I was hitting an overall data limit.