Format a parent row with two levels of indents

Options

I am very new to Smartsheet and am trying to figure out how to format a parent row where I have two levels of indents. I think I understand that I need to create a helper column so that I can then apply conditional formatting. I struggling to figure out the formula, though, to designate the parent row. I've tried so many things and I can't seem to get it. Can anyone help, please? Here's a screenshot of my sheet (FYI, my parent rows are all different names, not categories):

Thank you!

Best Answer

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/03/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ASanders,

I use a helper checkbox column that I keep hidden called Parent Row Check with the following column formula applied:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, true, false)

This checks the box if the row is a parent. I then use conditional formatting for parent rows with this column as the criteria.

I also use a hidden Row Level text type column. It's column formula looks like this:

=COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1

The Row Level column shows the level in the hierarchy (ancestor/parent/child). Also useful for conditional formatting among other things.

Hope this helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

Answers

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/03/23 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @ASanders,

I use a helper checkbox column that I keep hidden called Parent Row Check with the following column formula applied:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, true, false)

This checks the box if the row is a parent. I then use conditional formatting for parent rows with this column as the criteria.

I also use a hidden Row Level text type column. It's column formula looks like this:

=COUNT(ANCESTORS()) + 1

The Row Level column shows the level in the hierarchy (ancestor/parent/child). Also useful for conditional formatting among other things.

Hope this helps!

BRgds,

-Ray

• ASanders
    Options

Thank you, @Ray Lindstrom! The second option worked for me. I think I realized that the variations on the first option you provided that I was trying weren't working because I had two parent rows and it was identifying both of those.

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Awesome, so glad it worked for you! I know exactly what you mean, and actually use both of these for reports. Just depends on what and how I'm trying to slice the data.